Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA - International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
www.virginiathorley.com

The right person, with the right advice, at the right time

One of the most consistent experiences a new mother usually has is the sheer inconsistency of advice offered about breastfeeding. Sometimes the difference is because the advice when a baby is a week old is going to be different from when the same baby was only a day or two old when the milk wasn't 'in' and your baby's stomach was smaller. The baby and his needs have changed. Other differences in advice may be because some of the comments offered are just a personal opinion or the person has not kept up to date or is feeling very rushed.

Helpful advice and support for getting breastfeeding established, and continuing it, often depends on getting 'the right advice, from the right person, at the right time'. For me, this was advice by airmail letter from the wonderful Marian Tompson in Chicago, when I was living in a remote area of north-west Queensland, the other side of the world. Bless Marian. She has helped so many mothers.

I'd love to hear from YOU about who helped you with the right advice at the right time. Perhaps you found this crucial advice early on, or perhaps you struggled to find the information and support you needed - until the right person came along or you made contact electronically. So - over to you....

6 Comments to The right person, with the right advice, at the right time:

Comments RSS
Myra Lowrie on Sunday, 14 April 2019 1:25 PM
My babies were born in the 1970’s here in the USA. Breastfeeding was not common. I found most people would knew very little about breastfeeding. Hospital routines more often than not undermined breastfeeding. I met a lady who told me about a support group of women who could help me. It was the La Leche League. These wonderful women helped me my providing good information and support.
Reply to comment

David E. Bratt on Monday, 15 April 2019 11:22 AM
Virginia, advice, advice, advice, one tires of hearing the same old nonsense, just yeterday at the AGA of The Breastfeeding Association of Trinidad & Tobago (TBATT), one of our counsellors was complaining about continuing to hear new mothers being advised to keep the newborn on for "ten minute on one side, then ten minutes on the other" and "not to pick up the baby until it started to cry", it almost make one want to cry. David
Reply to comment

Virginia Thorley on Monday, 15 April 2019 8:17 PM
Yes Myra, my advice came from La Leche League, too, from Marian Tompson and an early edition of the LLL book. The 'right advice,from the right person, at the right time'.

Virginia Thorley on Monday, 15 April 2019 8:32 PM
Yes, it is so sad, so annoying, that people are still giving mothers advice that insists on numbers and rigid timing - *not* based on any evidence and with a lack of understanding of how lactation works, of how to make enough milk. Just when I think this sort of advice has gone away, someone gives me an example that it is still occurring.

Pushpa Panadam on Saturday, 20 April 2019 1:22 AM
So true, the right advice by a right person came via Grace, in Malaysia. I was pregnant when she came by and shared her experience and told me, nothing but your milk and whenever your baby needed. Am very happy that those words gave me confidence to breastfeed my first baby exclusively. Today my baby is a medical doctor on her way to being a pediatrician. I know she'll help mothers and babies with the right advice at tge right time.💝💝💝
Reply to comment

Virginia Thorley on Saturday, 27 April 2019 4:33 PM
Pushpa, I am so happy that this special person gave you the right advice at the right time. That advice has been repaid many, many times with the support you have given others - and now, indirectly, through your daughter. I have said many times that good advice, passed on, becomes like ripples on a pond. I am also impressed when I hear that someone - a family member or friend - admits to knowing little or nothing about breastfeeding, but expresses confidence in the mother and suggests a good support group or telephone or online support line.