Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA - International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
www.virginiathorley.com

Fluids - tea, soup, and more

When we think of drinking enough fluid, the first to come to mind is water and many of us now carry a reusable water bottle or have it nearby during the day. As mentioned in some of my previous posts, don't forget that soups and other light liquids can also provide us with fluid and some nourishment.

Rosemary tisane (recipe):
Currently I am making a rosemary tisane, a refreshing drink.  (In case you were going to ask, I understand it is caffeine-free). I have a rosemary bush in my garden and I cut 3 or 4 sprigs from that and place it in a 2-cup teapot. I pour boiling water over the sprigs and allow them to steep for a few minutes. (My teapot is glass and so I judge when the tisane is ready  by the colour of the water.) I have a cup of rosemary tisane beside me now. I prefer it unsweetened, but a visitor the other way preferred a tiny amount of honey in hers.

Soup:
You might like to read my earlier posts in this blog about soup. Do you have a recipe for an easy soup you would like to share?

Sugary drinks:
The current health and nutritional advice is that sugary drinks, such as cola, soda, and other soft-drinks and even fruit juice, are not good choices. This, however, is a different topic.

9 Comments to Fluids - tea, soup, and more:

Comments RSS
David on Monday, 13 November 2017 12:36 AM
Nothing like chicken soup for replacing water and electrolytes in diarrhoea in children (or a hangover in adults). If you don't eat chicken, vegetable soup (squash, pumpkin or carrot) is equally good.
Reply to comment

Virginia Thorley on Wednesday, 29 November 2017 7:41 PM
Thank you, David. That's a good idea, a vegetable soup. Some green leafy vegetables make a good addition to the yellow/orange vegetables, too Because soups are associated with cold weather, as a warming food, people often forget that a light, but nourishing soup can be a good way for busy Mums and families to have enough fluids in hot weather. Chilled soups are one option, but even soups we usually eat hot don't have to be piping hot.
Reply to comment

John geg on Saturday, 28 April 2018 12:48 AM
great Blog.
Reply to comment

mr hami on Wednesday, 9 May 2018 8:16 PM
addition to the yellow/orange vegetables, too Because soups are associated with cold weather, as a warming food, people often forget that a light, but nourishing,.
Reply to comment

Virginia Thorley on Sunday, 13 May 2018 10:24 AM
Yes, the yellow/orange vegetables add nourishment, such as vitamin A, and they also contribute fibre (and some Western diets are too low in fibre). Consider green vegetables of various types and legumes, too. Legumes add vegetable protein and are a source of fibre. The minestrone I am having for lunch today has a lot of different vegetables with a variety of colours. It's nourishing, tastes good, and looks good.

samantha on Tuesday, 15 May 2018 4:17 PM
nice
Reply to comment

Tony on Monday, 28 May 2018 5:19 PM
Great!
Reply to comment

lin on Monday, 18 June 2018 3:52 PM
nice
Reply to comment

IV Hydration on Thursday, 13 September 2018 4:35 PM
It is very important that we do take proper amount of liquid in our body to sustain or maintain its liquid level and of course proper or appropriate choice of what kind of liquid to take is of the same importance as well.
Reply to comment