EXPERT BREASTFEEDING SUPPORT
The service I offer is based on the belief that mothers' and babies' needs are of the utmost importance. You and your baby are individuals and my job is to assess your individual situation and provide assistance and choices based on the best available professional knowledge. To this I bring many years of experience of both routine and unusual situations - and continuing professional education to stay current.
IBCLC lactation consultants are breastfeeding specialists. We are required to recertify every fifth year by continuing education. Every tenth year we are mandated to recertify by exam. I first certified IBCLC in 1985, the very first year this international lactation consultant credential was available. So I was the FIRST lactation consultant in Queensland. Since then I have remained continuously certified and I am currently certified till December 2021. As the first, I was for some time the only lactation consultant in Queensland and, on moving to South-East Queensland, began the first private lactation practice in Brisbane.
In 2008 I was one of the first in the world to meet the criteria to be inducted as a Fellow (Fellow of the International Lactation Consultant Association), with the "FILCA" credential. My doctorate is a PhD, in the field of History (history of medicine).
My special interests include:
- attachment - helping you improve your baby's latch at the breast,
- evaluation of breastfeeding technique,
Is the position you are using working for you and your baby - or is there a better way?
- helping you and your partner understand newborn needs and read your baby's cues,
- sore nipples (ouch!),
- other breast and nipple problems,
- managing breastfeeding if you have been told your baby has reflux,
- evaluating tongue-tie and upper-lip tie,
- concerns about your milk supply, such as low milk supply or fast flow,
- increasing your milk supply
- relactation (resuming breastfeeding after early weaning);
- breastfeeding a baby you plan to adopt
- unusual situations and breastfeeding.
- Have you been unable to find an answer to the cause of a persistent challenge and want another opinion?
I also offer one-on-one antenatal breastfeeding preparation.
Appointments are arranged at a mutually suitable time.
- There is no additional charge for weekends or public holidays.
- Mothers and babies come to me as I do not offer home visits.
- I am based in the eastern suburbs of Ipswich, close to Brisbane's west and north-west.
- I am also available on the sage.fm platform or on Skype for consultations for interstate and overseas clients.
Initial consultation (long): $110. This includes free telephone, email or text follow-ups in the first week, if needed.
- A second or subsequent visit. This is now $80.
- Some health funds may offer rebates to their members with extras cover. Ask your fund.
Do you live outside my area? Here are some options:
- Interactive video chats on sage.fm are automatically charged by time, depending on how much, or how little, time you need. These may suit you if you live in another area or interstate or in another country. (See link on my homepage.) I used to live in remote areas and understand how difficult it is to access support.
- If I'm not currently online at sage.fm, text me or email me to set a time for a video consultation,
- Skype consultations for interstate or other distant mothers, are by arrangement. Email me or text me to set a time for a Skype consultation and discuss costs (which are based on increments of time).
- Long telephone consultations after the initial follow-up period are $80. Consultations by telephone, only, are also $80. However, video consultations are better for both of us. (See above)
Ipswich, and close to Springfield and Brisbane's western and north-western suburbs, Australia. Many of the families who consult me live outside this area and some live outside the state.
Book an appointment:
Mobile or text: 0409 876 848
FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS & PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS
I am available to present seminars or workshops in your workplace, to suit your needs on breastfeeding topics or stress management.